How does the VitalCough work?
Using a process called mechanical insufflation-exsufflation, the VitalCough gradually applies positive pressure to the airway followed by a rapid shift to negative pressure. This rapid shift produces a high expiratory flow from the lungs, simulating a cough.The technique avoids airway damage and offers an alternative to an invasive procedure while still offering patients greater comfort and quality of life.
What conditions does the VitalCough treat?
The VitalCough has been proven effective for patients with an insufficient ability to cough due to:
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Or any other neurological disorder with some paralysis of the respiratory muscles, such as a spinal cord injury
What should I consider before purchasing the Cough VitalCough?
- Any patient unable to cough or clear secretions effectively due to reduced peak cough expiratory flow (less than 3 liters per second), resulting from high spinal cord injuries, neuromuscular deficits or severe fatigue associated with intrinsic lung disease is a candidate for the CoughAssist.
- Any patient with a history of bullous emphysema, known susceptibility to pneumothorax, orpneumo-mediastinum, or known to have had any recent barotrauma, should consult with a physician before using.
How is the VitalCough used?
The Cough Assist may be used with a facemask or mouthpiece. In addition, the Cough Assist can work with an adapter to a patient’s endotracheal or tracheostomy tube. It is also safe enough to be used on both adult and pediatric patients at home or in a hospital/institutional environment.
Cough Assist is a noninvasive respiratory therapy that safely removes secretions from patients suffering with an ineffective ability to cough. The Cough Assist Device clears secretions by gradually applying a positive pressure to the airway, then rapidly shifting to negative pressure. The rapid shift in pressure produces a high expiratory flow, simulating a natural cough.
Hill-Rom VitalCough Components
- VitalCough Airway Clearance Unit
- Air Filter.
- 6 Foot Patient Circuit.
- One pediatric or adult mask of your choice.
- AC Power Cord.
- Carry Case.
CoughAssist T70 Mechanical In-Exsufflation Device Features & Benefits
- Removes secretions from the lungs.
- Reduces the occurrence of respiratory infections.
- Safe, noninvasive alternative to suctioning.
- Easy for patients and caregivers to operate.
- Safe use with tracheostomy tubes for patients with ALS.
- Expels 29% more mucus than deep suctioning.
- Improves SpO2 in ALS patients receiving mechanical ventilation via Tracheostomy tube.
- Clears airways for longer periods of time than tracheal suctioning and with fewer complications.
- Less irritating, less painful, less tiring, and less uncomfortable than tracheal suctioning.
- Minimizes the risk of pneumonia and infections.
Respironics CoughAssist T70 Specifications
- Width: 11.5′
- Height: 9.1′
- Depth: 7.5′
- Weight: 8.4 lbs.
- Weight with Detachable Battery: 9.4 lbs.
- Operating Temperature: 5 CÂ° to 35Â° C.
- Relative Humidity: 15 to 95% (non-condensing)
- Atmospheric pressure: 101 kPa to 77 kPa.
- Preset Capability: 3.
- Operation Modes: Manual and Auto.
- CoughAssist Maximum Positive Pressure: 70 cm H2O
- CoughAssist Maximum Negative Pressure: -70 cm H2O
- Triggering: Cough-Trak on/off. (not available in Manual Mode)
- Inhale Flow: Low, Medium, High.
- Inspiratory Time: 0.0 to 5.0 seconds. (not available in Manual Mode)
- Expiratory Time: 0.0 to 5.0 seconds. (not available in Manual Mode)
- Pause Time: 0.0 to 5.0 seconds. (not available in Manual Mode or if Cough-Trak is enabled)
- Respironics CoughAssist T70 Product Number: 1098160 (This model replaces the CA-3000 CoughAssist Automatic and the CM-3000 CoughAssist Manual)
- Manufacturer: Respironics.
Respironics CoughAssist T70 Warranty: 1 year limited on T70, 90 days mask
The Hill-Rom VitalCough Airway Clearance System
First, there was the Respironics CM3000, then the CA-3000 and finally the T-70. In 2016 Hill-Rom introduced the hill-romVitalCough to compete against the Respironics CoughAssist T-70. It uses similar, noninvasive positive / negative air pressure to stimulates a cough to remove airway secretions. Patients, with compromised peak cough flow can benefit from this therapy. This system was specifically designed to be easy to use for both medical professionals, caregivers or patients themselves. It is also used by nursing rehabilitation facilities.
Why Clear Lungs are so incredibly important
Keeping lungs clear of excess mucus is important because retained secretions, create a perfect environment for bacteria, viruses and fungi to multiply and cause life-threatening infections. Positive / Negative Airway clearance also called Mechanical Insufflation/Exsufflation (MI/E) therapy products such as the Hill-Rom VitalCough and Respironics CoughAssist are very useful for patients who have weakened cough and are unable to remove secretions from the large airways without assistance.
Some patients that produce a lot of excess mucus in the small airways may benefit from the use of a High Frequency Chest Wall Oscillation Device such as the Hill-Rom Vest or the Respirtech Incourage System and the use of a Mechanical Insufflation/Exsufflation device such as the Respironics CoughAssist or the Hill-Rom VitalCough.
How the VitalCough Works
The system supplies positive pressure during the inhale phase to inflate the lungs, then immediately shifts to supply negative pressure during the exhale phase. This process mimics a natural cough when secretions are sheared and with the help of this system can be expectorated (coughed up) or removed with suction. Following the exhale, the system pauses and maintains a resting positive pressure flow to the patient.
The VitalCough System is designed to be easy to use for patients and caregivers. Manual and Automatic modes can be programmed using a simple touch-screen.
Therapy Delivery Options
- Facemasks ranging from pediatric to adult large
- It can also be used on endotracheal and tracheostomy patients with appropriate adapter.
We also supply 3 breathing circuits with this system.
Please specify mask size when ordering.
Additional breathing circuits are available for $ 25.
Medafore.com warranties this product for 12 Month.
Price from Hill-Rom $ 4695.
Medafore Price $ 1995
2 in stock (can be backordered)
Medafore.com is a small, independent company. We are not affiliated with any equipment manufacturers.